Wednesday 31 October 2012

Updates, Swaps and a finish!!

Pin It Now! Well hello!
Welcome to the land of snow!! Yes I said it again, the dreaded "S" word. Well it has been snowing here in Calgary off and on since last Tuesday and so far it is here to stay. I have been doing some hand sewing and cutting in between work since I last posted as my lovely machine has been in the shop for a tune up. It has desperately needed one since I do so much sewing on in and as I need to get 3 big quilts finished and bound before Christmas!

We are also moving in the middle of november to a cute little town house we are renting from a co-worker. My husband and I are so excited as there is a cute fireplace in the living room and tons of natural light where all my sewing stuff is going. It is going to be a very, very busy month!

I also just signed up for two swaps -the Modern Christmas Table Runner Swap and the Scrappy Mug Rug Swap! Talk about ambitious!!! The sign-ups are closed for the table runner swap but there is still another day or so to get in on the scrappy mug rug- go here http://www.flickr.com/groups/1533394@N22/ and sign up!

I already have my design for the table runner sketched out although I won't show it quite yet. I need to get the fabrics first. But I am super excited for it and can't wait to show you.

If my partner comes by to snoop around, here is how I did my tree a couple years ago and I want to do it similar to this again this year if I can.

Here is my inspiration picture from flickr just for fun. Don't you love the bright colours?

Modern Christmas Table Runner Inspiration
1. reindeer mug rug, 2. merry christmas table topper, 3. Candy Cane Binding, 4. Snowman Runner, 5. Christmas Cathedral Windows, 6. 2011-11-13 Countdown To Christmas table runner top quilting and embroidery details, 7. Holiday Mug Rug, 8. Mug rug #1, 9. Mug Rug for Grant and Kelly, 10. Christmas Mug Rugs, 11. Snack Time!, 12. Merry Christmas Mug Rug, 13. Untitled, 14. savvy_4, 15. xmas runner final, 16. Christmas Mug Rugs, 17. christmas ornaments, 18. christmas ornaments, 19. table-runner received from Fiona!, 20. Tablerunner in all its glory!, 21. Modern Table Runner Swap Received, 22. MCTR swap, 23. Modern Christmas tablerunner at home, 24. Modern Christmas Table Runner - received from Vicky, 25. Winterkist Created with fd's Flickr Toys


Rubies, Diamonds and Garnets Too!
Well, I have officially completed my top for rubies, diamonds!! I am just waiting for my machine to come back from the shop so I can get started on quilting it. I am so excited and happy with this quilt. I plan on splitting the batting in order to be able to quilt this on my machine at home. So that will be interesting! Sorry for the crummy pictures but it has been very dreary here and I have bad lighting in our apartment!



Cathedral Windows Quilt Along
I am behind by two blocks at the moment since my machine is in the shop. But I have until the 15th of November to make sure all the blocks are complete and together. Again I have been making mine ~9 1/2" instead of the 12 1/2" they started out as.

I love the little mushroom print!

Is this not fun!?

 Now the block above is definitely my favourite!!! It is so much fun, easy to do and just stunning. I have plans for this type of block so stay tuned and you shall see what I have in mind!

I {heart} Snow!
I believe I had shown some of this ages ago. Well, it is now complete, quilted and bound. As much as I want to keep this one for myself, and had originally planned on doing so, I know my mother-in-law will love it just as much as me because she adores snowmen. This is a wonderfully soft flannel by Shelly Comiskey called I Love Snow.  I followed the pattern they designed for the fabric as I loved it so much and for once I did not change anything and let the fabrics speak for themselves. 







 Vintage Plates
My LQS does what is called a Freebie 15 each year. The basis is that you get a free block "kit" each month if you bring in the previous block completed on the 15th of each month. There is also "companion" blocks you can purchase for 10$ each month as well. Doing both gives you a large bed quilt. We don't know what the finished quilt will look like so it is a mystery! This year just started in October and I have the first blocks completed. The pattern has been names vintage dishes and apparently will all be done in sherbert colours. I think it is going to make a wonderful spring/summer quilt.
Freebie #1

Companions #1

I thought this was hilarious and couldn't help but share it!



Happy Stitching!
Kallie

1 comment: