Monday 5 March 2012

Baby Blanket!

Pin It Now!
So I finally fixed the tension issues I was having on my Janome. After a whole heck of a lot of this:



And then some of this:


I then switched needle sizes because I had switched thread weight and low and behold it worked!

So then I could finally finish the baby quilt for my nephews 1st birthday party on saturday! 

Remember the sneak peak I showed earlier?

Well here it is completed!



I love the backing fabric!! I only did a simple stitch in the ditch for quilting as I do not have much practice with that aspect of making quilts. Although I do plan to start practising! I used a 100% cotton batting and Wonderfil 50wt thread I think in konfetti. I did not add much of a label as it is a baby quilt that is going to get alot of abuse, so all I added is a simple "Made for you with Love" label. 

My best friend loved it when she opened it with/for my nephew so that makes me super happy :)




I have also finished the needle book that Janet won and will be posting it likely on Wednesday! So I will show pictures after Janet has recieved it. Don't want to spoil the suprise!

Working on Omigosh slowly but surely, I hope to have all the little pieced 4 patched together tonight. Only about 300 to go :S But then I can start making them into the actual block and that is the easy part!! 

Here is the centre row for my blocks. I have 40 of these done like this! Which is 80 of those teeny weeny blocks!

Here is the next 80 to square up in 2" squares these will be for the top and bottom rows of the above 40 blocks to be. 

The pile so far after squaring up the first 80 blocks. 

I also dived into my UFO bin and pulled out two Double Wedding Ring Blocks. I had started making this quilt for my in-laws back in September using fabric from my stash which when I bought was told was a fabric they ALWAYS got in. As in for years. So of course when calculating it out I knew I needed to get more as I am only using 3 different fabrics. I did up a few blocks and cut out some parts for more and when I went in to buy more fabric, I find out they no longer get it. None of their stores get it. It was discontinued. Of course!  So I now needed to figure out something to do with it, and a pillow 2 of the blocks became.
I might stitch something into the centre part as it is so plain looking. Yes its a bit wrinkly at the edges but thats ok to me. This is definitely not a 5 star sewing award but I like the colours and it makes use of a block that could have otherwise been thrown out. :)



I am going to head back to working on Omigosh now and hope to get all those little blocks done today!! Hope you all are having a wonderful day,

Happy Stitching!
Kallie

6 comments:

  1. I love the backing of the baby blanket too!! What a great gift---will be loved thru and thru. I have the pattern for Omigosh, but have not started it. It would be great for all the little scrap pieces I get when working on other blocks. Another project I need to plan to do in the near future--thanks for the pictures to inspire us---Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say something else when I was just on before---(senior moment)---I know how you can fix the edges of your pillow, but it would require a seam ripper & more sewing. I like your pillows as they are. If you want the info--fire me an email--always good to have others input & ideas--then you decide what you like. (this is not a comment on your sewing skills--just a way they could be a little less wrinkled on the edges--but it has to do with the stuffing technique & not the sewing). Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your Omigosh! I ran across my pattern the other day and was soooo tempted to start it, but I just have too many other things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you solved the tension problem. When the tension is behaving badly, your efforts, your project, your time, and your concentration all suffer.
    Cute baby quilt and I especially love the binding. Striped or plaid fabrics cut on the bias (or ones that look like they were) are my favorite ones. Very striking.
    It's nice to see you continued progress on your Omigosh quilt. I'm quietly cheering you on here in front of my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute baby blanket, and I am enjoying watching your progress on Omigosh. I have so much going already that I think I will just cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bably quilt is just so sweet! and I do love the backing, you did a nice job!!
    Glad to hear your sewing tension problems got sorted, nothing worse!!! Omigosh is coming along and you did great with the orphan DWR blocks!!!

    ReplyDelete