Thursday, 2 February 2012

Hexagon Tutorial and Thank You

Pin It Now!
Good Morning to all you lovely people out there! I want to say thank you for your wonderful comments and for deciding to follow along with my projects. I am quite honoured! Thanks again to the lovely Vivian for posting such a sweet introduction about me on her own blog Quilts and A Mug @   http://quiltsandamug.blogspot.com/ 


Today I have a hexagon tutorial for you as many people at my quilt group have never seen hexagons done the way I make them. There are step by step photos so it is a very long post. Hope you enjoy and if you have any questions please ask!!


Happy Stitching!


Super Quick and Easy Hexagons!


Supplies
Thread- 100% cotton for whip-stitching hexagons together, and whatever you want to use for basting, I alternate between cotton and polyester.

Needles- use what you are comfortable with. I currently like a #12 quilting between as it is sharp and small.


Pin- You need at least 1 sharp skinny pin. I like the appliqué pins with the glass head as they are very sharp and skinny and glide through the fabric nicely.


Template- I personally have some Quilt Patis http://quiltpati.tripod.com/ I have alsomade my own cardboard ones out of cereal boxes and recently made some out of clear template sheets from Fabric land or quilt shops. Cardstock will work as well but regular paper may be to thin. If you want to do it now at home print out a template on paper, cut it out and trace it onto thin cardboard like cereal, popcorn, waffle boxes etc.


Scissors


You may want a needle threader especially for something like a #12 between. It sure saves me lots of cursing!


Fabric!!!- The best part and your choice obviously! For a 1 1/2" sized hexagon I cut my fabric into 3 1/2" x 3 3/4" rectangles. The does produce a little bit of waste fabric which you can easily trim later if you want but it makes getting your seam allowance much easier than if you cut a 1/4" exactly.


To Begin
Thread your needle with basting thread of about 18" in length. Get your pin,  3 1/2" x 3 3/4" rectangle of fabric, and your 1 1/2 " hexagon template.


Center Template on fabric so that the flat part of the
 hexagon is parallel to 3 3/4" side of fabric.


Fold down left corner of fabric over the template


Do the same now with the right. The point on the hexagon will have overlapping fabric now. 


Take your handy pin and from the top, push the pin through the overlapping fabric to hold it in place. It can be a little fiddly at first but keep trying. You will pick it up real quick!


Turn your hexagon around so your pinned point is on the bottom


Fold the same way as you did the opposite point. First fold down the left corner, then the right. Your point will overlap. 


Using your threaded needle take a bite out of the overlapping fabric going all the way to the template and back up.  ***NOTE: You are NOT going through to the front of the fabric****


Pull the thread all the way through and take another small bite to secure.  


Congrats! You just completed the first point! 


Turn your fabric so you are working on your next point. you can go either left  or right. in these pictures i went to  the left. it is the same instructions either way. 


Fold down the left corner of fabric over the template for the point  you are working on next. 




Now you can fold the right corner down over the left again and you have another  overlapping corner. 


Pick up your needle again and sew through that over lap


Pull thread all the way through and take one more stitch.
Repeat for the next point. Left corner, right corner, stitch through over lapping fabric twice


You are now at the pin and are halfway done!! Rotate your hexagon so the pin is at the top, and pull it out. 


Re- fold your corners if necessary and check that you have no puckers at your first point. If you do. DON'T panic :)
Just refold your fabric and maybe check your template hasn't slide too much. that's all. Take your two stitches once happy with  your fold.


And you will have a hexagon looking something like this


Repeat folding left corner, right corner take two stitches at the point for the next two points.


And you are back at the beginning. Take to more stitches at  your first point to secure it


To tie it off I just slide my needle through the two sets of stitches on your first point  and cut the thread about 1/2" away. 


That's it! your first hexie!! Quick, flip it over...


Just lovely! even better if you are fussy cutting!  


Whip-stitch with right sides together. Here I whip-stitched the bottom two and then added  the top one. ***NOTE: There is NO NEED for you to take out the basting stitches once you have whip-stitched your hexies together. It stays in.****


From the front. 
Make some more and start your own Hexie project!!





7 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. I made a few hexies a couple years ago. I love the fussy cut ones I see on people's blogs. I may have to give them a try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kallie - I found you from Vivian's blog. Great tutorial - thanks! I've been wanting to make hexies for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the tutorial Kallie. I came to visit via Vivian. Welcome to the fantastic world of quilting and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to meet you Kallie, dear Vivian sent me.
    Great tut on the hexies..I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Tutorial on Hexies. I use those plastic templates too, but I don't use a pin... good idea. A lady on a Bus trip showed me how to quickly do these. I had been English Paper-piecing them and making a lot more stitches than I needed to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kallie! I read about your blog through Vivian! Welcome to blogland! I have been reading your posts and you certainly have a lot to keep you busy when you are not on duty! I'm an RN too so know how important it is to have a creative outlet outside of the hospital! I have yet to embark on my DJ, I don't know why I keep putting it off, I have all my fabric lOL!!!
    All the very best, I will be following with interest!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You all so much Ladies! It is so lovely to meet all of you as well and thank you for popping over from Vivian's Blog.

    Definitely give the hexagons a try, they are much simpler than you would think, make a couple practice ones and you will see how quickly you can start getting them together.

    @ Merilyn- Check out the link to the Quilting Board Dear Jane Along. It makes it all super easy with lots of support and they are still allowing people to join!

    ReplyDelete